Travels inspired by the Wombles

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Temple tales


While in London yesterday, I visited the Buddhapadipa Thai Temple in Wimbledon, just opposite the Common. The visit didn't get off to a great start. I took off my shoes as required before entering the building, and a short, elderly monk in the classic bright orange robe came out to greet me. His mouth began to open and I waited for wisdom to emerge. He said:

"You come to clean the kitchen?"

I was in casual dress, but this was a bit of a dressing-down (if that's the phrase I want) from someone who could have been going to a fancy dress party as a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Never mind. It turned out this wasn't a good day to go in the temple for some reason, but I could take photos from outside. While I was doing that, the monks and their helpers seemed to be carrying out various maintenance tasks. If you've ever wondered what a Buddhist monk looks like while carrying a ladder, I've seen it. The grounds overall are a bit of a mixture - a modern house at the front, the Thai temple and then other items such as a set of solar panels. The temple is incongruous to say the least, set in the midst of streets of prosperous detached houses with large gates, coats of arms with crossed keys and so on. Advice to pay less attention to material possessions may be lost on those houses' occupants. There's more info about the temple here.

No comments:

Post a Comment