Travels inspired by the Wombles

Tuesday 2 August 2011

On literary agencies

My manuscript is complete and I am now on the hunt for a literary agency which will find me a willing publisher.
It's a buyer's market at the moment, so this is bound to be difficult - but not as difficult as one agency seems intent on making it. On their website they state:
'DON'T... Send submissions that are also landing on the desks of every agent in town - we do talk!'
Well, why not? What's the problem? Sure, if I was being deceitful and pretending I was only sending it to that one agency, that would be wrong. But as long as I state that I'm approaching more than one agency, there's no problem. Agencies typically quote 6 weeks to 3 months as their lead times for reading and responding to submissions. If I approached agencies one at a time, it would, at a rough guess, take somewhere between 6-12 years to go round them all. I'm patient, but not that patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment