Travels inspired by the Wombles

Saturday 4 July 2009

Welcome

Welcome to Journeys from Wimbledon Common, the blog of one man's travels to the places which gave their names to the Wombles.

All travel writing is, in one way or another, a quest. Some quests are more humorous than others. I hope this quest will entertain and also give food for thought - like the original Wombles themselves, created by Elisabeth Beresford.

Since last year, I've been going “underground, overground”, to the locations after which the individual Wombles were named. I'll be continuing the quest over the next 12-18 months, journeying from the Trans-Siberian Railway to a small town in Somerset, from western France to a district of a Japanese island and beyond. I've also been meeting people whose lives and even careers have been changed forever by the Wombles.

Why not join me on the journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment